CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Hummingbird


At the beginning of summer, I begged my husband for a hummingbird feeder. "Do we even have hummingbirds by our house?" He questioned. "No- because we have no feeder." I replied. My classic red plastic feeder with the pseudo flowers was promptly filled and hung outside our big kitchen window. Here we could get a perfect view. For two months it sat. Nothing. Then one day I noticed mold growing inside. I washed it out and filled it and hung it again. For two more months it sat. I did notice a leak of some sort, that made a lovely sugary, scarlet pool on my porch; that screamed to the entire ant population, who came and bit our innocent little toes. I have given up on my precious feeder, and let the mildew take over, watching the empty orb swing in the breeze.

Then today, through a hazy heat, I see a single hummingbird hover near the feeder. His attempts to feed were fruitless, as there was no nectar for him. I watched painfully as he flew away.

I think this is a very clear allusion to my life. Don't let me depress you, that is not my intention. But rather my own introspection. No matter how much energy I exert to create my perfect world, the bird will come and go as he pleases.

5 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Remember that quote by Pres Hinckley years ago? I love it because it reminds me that my life is not a raw deal.
The quote talks about the fact that "most puts don't drop, most steak is tough..." most of life is a dusty, rough train ride interspersed with beautiful vistas...the trick is to be grateful for the ride.
Thats the jist, it's a great quote.

Sadie Lou said...

at least a bird now knows that there is a feeder at your house and when you fill it again, he will come back and bring his possey! and wasen't i on the phone with you when this happended?

zippity-do-da said...

Have you ever seen a hummingbird "possey"? One can only dream.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

How did you load music on your blog?

Martin said...

I ran across this blog looking for that Hinckley quote. I eventually found it. Just as an FYI, HE was actually quoting someone else, Jenkins Lloyd Jones. It's still a great quote. You can find it in this address: A Conversation with Young Single Adults.