CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 13, 2007

In the Blink of an Eye

We all hear stories about awful things that happen to children when the guardian just "took their "eyes of for one second...". I'll sometimes come home to my husband and the children in utter chaos and think "what were you doing?" After nearly five years of being a mother, you would think that I would realize that anything can happen, and usually happens at the very worst times.

This morning, I had the baby down, the oldest getting ready for school, and the middle one engaged in a computer game. I figured I had a good 30 minutes to get something done. So I started to reorganize my closed. (smacking head) Stupid, Stupid! Right as everything is extracted and it looks like my closet vomited all over the bedroom; lightning strikes.

At the exact same instant: my oldest drops the cell phone in the toilet (before flushing), the next one acts like a puppy and poops all over my living room floor, and my youngest dives out of her crib. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Everyone is crying, the phone is combusting, the stool is stinking- I thought for sure that I was done for. Usually, deep breaths can help restore calm to my panicked world- but the stench was too overpowering.

Just goes to show, that inevitably, without preamble, you blink and it all breaks loose. We have restored calm and a lovely meadows and rain scent. Maybe I've learned to stay on guard- but probably not.

9 comments:

JJ said...

Okay, I'm still smiling after reading your post. I have had my share of days that sounded just like that. More power to you for handling "well." I'm not sure I can say the same.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I am sure there is a metaphor for life in here somewhere, but I'm too busy laughing to find it.

zippity-do-da said...

Who says that I handled it well? Maybe the *#$@* hit the fan. Usually we just get through and the stress passes. If we are alive at the end- that's pretty good.

Sadie Lou said...

oh my goodness gracious! that is absolutely inthraling! my vocabulary has really improved! that is so bad. the pooping part was kinda funny, but probably not for you! and is lucy okay? oh and is that your real eye? that is a little freaky, but who cares!

Emma Jo said...

Aren't you grateful for Febreeze? That is the precise moment that I would have turned around, walked out onto your lovely front porch and taken some deep breaths while gazing across the delightful countryside...then when I was sufficiently distracted I would go back inside and deal with it. Easy for me to say, I didn't have to clean up poop (I would have gagged the entire time anyway...) So sorry...I hope the weekend looks better!

Yoda said...

Dear Alexa,

Why were you so freaked out? Say hi to Seth. Write back. Your friend Rachel

Sadie Lou said...

go read my comment to your comment on my blog:)

Abby said...

I know all too well, as we lost Cubby recently--why is it that with so much family around, THAT's the time we don't watch our kids as closely as we normally do? Is there a subconscious passing of the buck that goes on? Anyway, I'm glad at least that none of your brood wandered out the front door...although I'm sure you would have preferred the "puppy" to do his business on the lawn! Poor Lu. Injuries and such stress me out every time.

boandheidi said...

You would think that we could learn that abad things come a handful at a time. I am happy you all survived!!!