CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 8, 2007

What Pet Next?

My boys have become big animal activists. I think I am responsible because I encourage them to check out animal nonfiction books at the library (though Diego has some influence too). At the end of every one; there is a plea to help the Bengal Tiger, or Great White Shark, or Big fat killer snake. My boys are taken in- hook, line, and sinker. "Mom we have to save the marsupials!" (Seth's eyes were wide and about to spill over with concern.)

The latest and longest lasting worry for my five year old is the Manatee. This gentle Sea Cow has stolen his heart. He wants to find a Manatee in need and provide it a home for Christmas. Our friend has a new pool, and Seth is convinced that her family NEEDS a manatee for Christmas. It was the only comfort he could find to go to sleep: imagining that his new pet would be happy for the holidays.

*Note: Manatees can be as long as 13 feet, and weigh as much as 3500 pounds. What backyard pool can support a beast of this size? Not to mention the intake and output. We may need to find a solution- the happiness of a very sincere five year old is at stake...and an entire endangered species.


10 comments:

JJ said...

We could tell you a story about manatees that would make you even less likely to want to adopt one (aside from the size and upkeep). Just ask Kelly one of these days to tell you of our Manatee experience at SeaWorld.

zippity-do-da said...

I can't wait for one of these days- I need to know the story NOW!! (It's not hard to imagine where my childrens' lack of patience comes from)

Kara said...

Hilarious. I loved this post!

Abby said...

Tell him to ask Santa...do you believe??? Right, bad idea. Good luck with that one, mom and dad!

Jeri said...

What a sweet little boy to be so concerned about the manatees. I wish life could be as simple to us as it is to children.

Emma Jo said...

I know a way to keep your kids occupied for the next 6 years. Hand him a shovel and tell him that when he has dug a hole big enough for the manatee in the backyard he can have one...though I wouldn't underestimate those boys, they are pretty motivated. Have you suggested a gently hermit crab?

Carl said...

If it works for deer, bear and other wildlife, a backyard pool could work for a manatee:
http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/pooltalk/wild_life/index.html

Sadie Lou said...

this is where the weird little stuffed animals at the zoo come in handy! :)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Our kids would SO get along. To hear my two and half year old say, "Furry chinchillas are afraid of maned wolves," just about makes me want to double up laughing every time.

Kara said...

By the way, have you read Twilight yet? You can get lost in that one, I promise.