CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

There's a Snake in my boot

I live out in the country, in a little country house; I should have been prepared. We have had a menagerie of visitors in the two years we've lived here; I should have seen it coming. Possums, armadillos, gigantic spiders, crawdad communities, water fowl (a heron lived here for 10 days), snapping turtles, frog and toad and their amphibian villages. Why did I not know that inevitably the next would be a snake? I look outside my window, and there it is dangling from the top (how do they do that?) and stalking the innocent little tree frog below him. My boys are in a trance with eyes glued on the animal planet moment. They loved every minute. The hunt, the strike, the feast. I am surrounded by barbarians! It was sick!... and kind of cool.

10 comments:

JJ said...

OH MY GOSH! I could not live there if you paid me in satchels full of money. My children would love it but what do you do during a moment like that?! AGGHGHGH!! What's next...alligators?

Jeri said...

To see that snake would have freaked me out! I am not sure that I could live with all of those critters. You are a braver woman than me!

zippity-do-da said...

Brave or just dumb? It's a toss up.

Emma Jo said...

I seem to recall a certain "snake dropping" incident that prevented my children and me from going out in our backyard for several months...it touched my neck!! I felt totally justified in locking the back door. You are a brave woman.

Sadie Lou said...

i am completely speecless!

zippity-do-da said...

Welcome Mr. Gopher! The latest addition to our plethera of pets was last seen Saturday morning. I'm not much of a fan and niether is my lawn lackey, aka Shane.

Abby said...

I can't handle it.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Hee. Hee. The last spring we lived in Texas Jeff found snakes three or four different times living in our beautiful garden. I started beating the plants with a large stick before I would weed. The worst part about snakes in your neck of the woods is that they are often poisonous. We've seen a couple here, but they are a little more harmless.

vk said...

Alexa Scharman,

You are too young and little to have to deal with "DISGUSTING" things of that nature. I seem to remember one coming in your house when you were little and Mr Cosby having to take care of it. Those are memories I prefer not to make! I am too old to survive what you do but you do it with such grace. What is your secret?

Love,
Auntie

zippity-do-da said...

If I have any grace I got it in the genes- no effort of mine. And my secret? Just hold your kids, close your eyes, and breath. If you make it through then it's sure to make a great story for later.