CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Camping- in style


I love to camp. I love to be pampered. I never really thought the two went together. But at our girls camp we were all spoiled. It was a resort outside of San Antonio, that was really nice. The cabins were very nice, with comfortable beds and all the amenities. The food was fantastic- served to us three times a day. The horseback riding, lounging at the pool and even serenading around the fire by professionals combined to make a pretty sweet vacation for me.
WAIT! IT'S NOT VACATION- IT'S GIRLS CAMP!!
What ever happened to the girls camp of my childhood; sleeping bags, and cots. Fires, that we built and food that we cooked and suffering and latrines? Camping is not supposed to be cushy. I will admit that being a leader had drawbacks. So much drama! I had forgotten living with little children, how much there is to complain about as a teenager- even at a resort. It was time away from my life into a completely different one of young women and their suffering. My response to 90% of all their wining became DWI (deal with it!). And yet it did give me ample time to see these girls as they will one day become. It was humbling to see such strength and fear together. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I'm not sure I'm ready to repeat anytime soon.

10 comments:

Emma Jo said...

For real? Girls camp is where I learned all the different positions to assume when "bathrooming" out in the wild and how to grab mass amounts of daddy long legs by their legs and throw them out of a lean-to...not to mention the millions of burns sustained while cooking our own food on homemade buddy burners (made from tuna cans, wax and cardboard.) I hope the leadership showed them whats up. How lucky of them to have you there...I've been camping with you as a YW and I remember it being pretty darn fun.

TD said...

I know that I did not go to my last girls camp, because they said that it would be in the snow and that we had to dig our own latrines. I told them that I had to work and that there was no way to get out of it. I did work for my parents at the DQ.

The Titmi said...

Hey girlie! We met at Girls Camp! Gone are the days of Camp Liahona and getting lost on the way to all of the random trail to who knows where. We had toms of drama too back then!

Abby said...

Ah...somehow the last two wards I was in YW and managed to eaither be pregnant or nursing during girls camp every time (with the exception of one overnighter with beehives--not horrific). This year I am having a baby the DAY before girls camp begins...can I plan it or can I plan it? The reality of it is, there is no experience that can quite take the place of being out at camp with your girls. (And yours sounds so very cushy! Rock on, bc I'm ok not "flushing" out my own latrine or whatever it is they have to do.)

Abby said...

I just had this moment of weird that we all use to camp together as YW and now we are leaders...

Susanna said...

Yay!! Welcome back mama blogger. I am glad to hear a report and see those sweet kids of yours. Heck, I'd take camp like that anytime. But I still would love a couple of nights in a tent. Mmm. Does the heart good. Maybe not the pregnant belly, but the heart at least.

Christina said...

Hey Shane and Alexa! This is Christina Cosby Willardson! Your kids are adorable, I can't believe how big they are now. I think the last time I saw your family, you only had one child! Crazy! We have one now, he was born 3 weeks ago. Hope you all are doing great!

Jenny said...

Hey Lex, I am so glad that you are back. Love you!

vk said...

Girls Camp, oh the memories, nightmares, sweat, bugs, animals, requirements, bonding, fun and love. I did it 7 times and that was 6 too many. Way to go Lexie. Keep on blogging!

Love,
Aunt Verlinda

Berly said...

I can not believe girls camp was at a semi resort. I loved girls camp and I agree with Emily. I learned some" valuable" things while at girls camp - and living in Colorado we camp alot, so those come in handy. Camp Liahona rocked!!